Turkey and Veggie Chili Recipe
Chili is such a flavorful dish that you would think it takes hours to simmer and prepare, but this one-pot Turkey and Veggie Chili can be made in around 30 minutes for a delicious weeknight meal, or impressive appetizer for any occasion. This recipe yields up to six servings, which is perfect for sharing or meal prep. I love having leftover chili because the flavors become even bolder, so it’s great to make the night prior to a busy day.
This chili is not only super-tasty, but it also offers balanced nutrition your body needs, including quality protein, healthy fats, and fiber to keep you full and satisfied. It’s full of fresh vegetables, legumes, and lean turkey for a nourishing and wholesome dish that can be enjoyed by all!
Ways to “Shake Up” this Recipe
Once I gained some confidence making chili, I stopped using a recipe and started experimenting with different flavors and spices. Some variations were more successful than others, so I wanted to share a few alternative ingredients that were major crowd-pleasers!
- Add 1-2 bay leaves (remember to remove them after simmering)
- 1/2-1 tsp. of cayenne pepper for spice
- Omit turkey and add other beans for a vegetarian/vegan version
- Tomato paste mixed with water instead of tomato sauce
Of course, we can’t forget about the toppings! If I’m hosting friends or family, I typically leave out an array of sliced avocado, lime wedges, cilantro, diced onion, cheese, etc., so that everyone can customize their bowl to their liking.
Ready to start cooking? Scroll down for the full recipe!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1-15 oz can kidney beans
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- Optional: jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, etc. for toppings
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Once hot, add the onion and cook about 3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Once garlic is fragrant, add the bell pepper and celery. Saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook 7 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks, until meat has browned.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve and top with any desired toppings!
What's your favorite chili recipe? Let us know in the comments below!
Looking for more healthy recipes? Check out other delicious, nutritionist-approved 310 Nutrition recipes here!