When you're trying to lose weight, you assume you have to cut out all fats, and that includes healthy fats. Right? But what you may not realize is eating healthy fats is not only healthy, it can actually help you lose weight. Don’t believe the lie that fat makes you fat! A balanced diet is your goal, one that includes appropriate portions of all the macronutrients, including fat. A big part of the reason for this is that fats play a huge role in helping you feel satisfied after eating something. Additionally, your body needs new fat to release old, stored fat1.
So take a look at these healthy fats and why they can help you lose weight:
1. Almonds. They contain a unique compound that limits the amount of fat your body can absorb. One study compared a group of almond eaters and non-almond eaters, and found those who ate almonds reduced their waist by 50% more than the non-almond eaters2. Just be careful not to overdo it. Of all the almonds, raw are you best choice because they're the lowest in calories, at 163 calories, per 1/4 cup.
2. Avocado. Even though it’s a fruit, avocados are a wonderful source of healthy fats. Eating half of one for lunch will lower your desire to snack later3.
3. Cheese. Studies show that people who eat full-fat dairy tend to have less body fat and lower BMIs than people who avoided it. One theory suggests cheese encourages a certain bacteria in your gut that speeds up metabolism4. But pay attention to portion sizes because the calories can add up. A slice of cheddar is around 113 calories but a cup can be over 500.
4. Coconut Oil. Among the many health benefits of coconut oil, it’s been shown to increase your metabolism and help you burn an extra 100 calories a day5! Other studies have shown it can be effective at not only helping you lose weight, but lose fat and inches off your waist6.
5. Dark chocolate. If you eat 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate before a meal, you could eat 17% fewer calories than you would otherwise7. This is because of dark chocolate’s cocoa butter content which slows your digestion8.
6. Grass-Fed Beef. This tasty protein makes the list primarily because of its high content of omega-3 fatty acids9. In other words, grass fed beef is leaner and has a better ration of healthy fats than the conventional cuts.
7. Grass-Fed Butter. It has more omega-3 fatty acids than regular butter, which is good because research is showing omega-3s help people lose weight faster10.
8. Nuts. Studies have shown people who regularly eat nuts (almonds are actually not nuts) have lower BMIs than people who don’t. The reason is attributed to the way nuts keep you feeling full so you ultimately eat less. Your body also can’t digest some of the fat calories contained in nuts, so you don’t actually end up absorbing them11. Again, just notice your portion size as the calories can add up if you don't watch how much you eat.
9. Olive Oil. If you want to lower your BMI, this healthy fat is for you! It helps your body produce more adiponectin, a hormone that helps your body break down fat12.
10. Salmon. The omega-3 fatty acids in this fish (and other fatty fish like it) make this high-protein meal taste amazing. It may seem hard to believe, but it does actually take eating healthy fats to get rid of old fats. The best part is many of the foods on this list of healthy fats pull double duty in supplying your body with a ton of other nutritional benefits. So stop holding back when it comes to healthy fats, it's time enjoy them!
1. K. Aleisha Fetters. (May 13, 2016). Why You Need to Eat Fat to Burn Fat. http://www.livestrong.com
2. 8 Fatty Foods That Make You Look Skinny. (n.d.) http://www.eatthis.com
3. Carey Rossi. (June 29, 2014). 12 Foods To Keep You Fuller, Longer. http://www.huffingtonpost.com
4. 8 Fatty Foods that Help You Slim Down. (April 27, 2016). https://www.yahoo.com
5. 8 Fatty Foods that Help You Slim Down. (April 27, 2016). https://www.yahoo.com
6. 8 Fatty Foods That Make You Look Skinny. (n.d.) http://www.eatthis.com
7. L B Sørensen and A Astrup. (December 1, 2011). Eating dark and milk chocolate: a randomized crossover study of effects on appetite and energy intake. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
8. 8 Fatty Foods That Make You Look Skinny. (n.d.) http://www.eatthis.com
9. 8 Fatty Foods That Make You Look Skinny. (n.d.) http://www.eatthis.com
10. J. D. Heyes. (March 14, 2013). Omega-3 fatty acids will help you lose weight. http://www.naturalnews.com
11. 8 Fatty Foods that Help You Slim Down. (April 27, 2016). https://www.yahoo.com 1
2. Dr. Mike Roussell. (n.d.) 8 Essential Fat-Loss Hormones. http://www.shape.com