You’ve probably learned that the best strategy for weight loss is a hard-hitting combo of dieting and exercise. There are numerous diet options you can choose from, but there’s one weight loss trick you can use no matter what diet you go with. That’s right – this is a universally applicable diet tip! You know that different foods contain different nutrients that contribute to our health and help prevent diseases and promote health in different organs. Did you know the same is true about the herbs and spices we use to flavor our food? So no matter what diet you’re on, you can season your meals with spices designed to promote weight loss and target different aspects of your health! Here’s a quick guide to the best spices for weight loss and health:
1. Cinnamon – High in antioxidants and some studies suggests it improves insulin sensitivity and reduce the accumulation of belly fat.
Helps: Increase insulin sensitivity, lower bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels, reduce belly fat, and stabilize blood sugar.
Pair It With: Aside from being a usual ingredient in baking or in your morning oatmeal, cinnamon can taste delicious in your morning shake, a cup of coffee, or even in some rubs and marinades for meat!
2. Cumin – This potent but versatile spice (used frequently in Latin American, Hispanic, and Indian cuisines) is amazing at aiding digestion. Cumin is actually high in iron, making it a good choice for anyone anemic or energy deficient.
Helps: Improve glycemic control, increase energy, reduce stress, and aid digestion.
Pair It With: This spice is potent and works well when used in conjunction with other flavors. It’s a key ingredient in taco seasoning, makes a great rub on pork, beef, or chicken, and can add flavor to a simple rice and bean dish.
3. Black Pepper – Good news! Simple black pepper makes this list due to piperine, a compound in pepper that could prevent new fat cells from forming.
Helps: Prevent fat cells from forming, increases bioavailability of other nutrients, reduces inflammation, soothes upset stomach, aids in digestion by stimulating the production of hydrochloric acid.
Pair It With: Anything! Tastes especially great freshly ground on top of grilled meats and fresh salads.
4. Cayenne Pepper – Peppers are spicy because of capsaicin. On top of giving peppers their heat, this compound is amazing at suppressing your appetite, boosting your metabolism, and reducing fat!
Helps: Suppress appetite, increase thermogenesis, and reduce belly fat.
Pair It With: Meat, fish, rice, beans, and eggs.
5. Mustard – The phytochemicals in mustard (also responsible for mustard’s spicy kick) help you loose weight by boosting your metabolism by up to 25%!
Helps: Reduce fat and boost metabolism.
Pair It With: You can get the benefits using whole grain or ground mustard seeds, or by eating a pure, natural, low-calorie mustard (mostly just mustard and vinegar). Mustard tastes great on sandwiches, in salad dressings, and in marinades.
6. Ginger – Sweet and spicy, ginger is known to help cure a queasy stomach.
Helps: Ease nausea, promote gastric emptying, relax intestinal tract, boost metabolism, and suppress appetite.
Pair It With: A staple in Asian cuisine, grated ginger is also delicious in salad dressings and marinades.
7. Turmeric – Vibrant and yellow, one of turmeric’s active ingredients prevents fat tissue from forming. Notably, it has been proven to help people who have lost weight keep that weight off.
Helps: Reduce the formation of fat tissue, fights inflammation
Pair It With: Turmeric is the base of many Indian curries, and can be used in meat marinades.
8. Cardamom – Similar to cinnamon, cardamom has a spicy/sweet taste. It’s one of the best spices for weight loss because of how effectively it boosts your metabolism.
Helps: Increase thermogenesis, boost metabolism, and helps your body burn fat more effectively.
Pair It With: Use cardamom in baking recipes, as an addition to your black tea (it’ll taste like Chai!), or even in a meat rub. With motivation like that, it’s time to hit up your local grocery store and restock your spice cabinet! Plan your meals around these spices for weight loss and increased health!
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/26/herbs-and-spices.aspx http://www.spicesinc.com/p-474-8-spices-to-help-you-lose-weight.aspx http://www.eatthis.com/5-best-spices-to-burn-fat http://www.redbookmag.com/body/healthy-eating/advice/g2426/spices-for-weight-loss/