If you haven’t heard about Irish Sea Moss, we’re about to fill you in on this hot health product and why we recommend you add it to your daily wellness routine.
People have been reaping the benefits of this sea algae for hundreds of years. But it's currently having its moment in the spotlight as more and more people take advantage of this amazing source of whole food nutrients and powerful antioxidants – offering standout health potential.
In this article, we’ll discuss exactly what Irish Sea Moss is, plus introduce you to an incredibly convenient way to reap the benefits of this awesome superfood: our 310 Irish Sea Moss Capsules.
For a limited time only starting November 12, our 310 Irish Sea Moss Capsules are 50% off! Grab yours today to score the discount.
What Is Irish Sea Moss?
Irish sea moss is a red seaweed that grows naturally on rocks along the North Atlantic Coast of Europe and North America. So it might have Irish in the name, but it doesn't just grow in Ireland!
It's PACKED with health-supporting nutrients. In fact, it’s often referred to as nature’s multivitamin. That's because it’s said to contain 92 of the 102 minerals the body needs for healthy functioning. It’s also rich in many vitamins and antioxidants including vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K, plus beta-carotene.
Irish Sea Moss Nutrients
Let’s take a look at the nutrition facts for Irish Sea Moss, nature's ultimate multivitamin. 100g of Irish Sea Moss contains:
- Calories: 49
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Fat: Less than 1 g
- Carbs: 12 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 67.00 mg
- Vitamin B2: 0.466 mg (36% DV)
- Folate (Vitamin B9): 182.00 mcg (46% DV)
- Calcium: 72.00 mg (6% DV)
- Vitamin C: 3.0 mg (3% DV)
- Iron: 8.90 mg (49% DV)
- Magnesium: 144.00 mg (34% DV)
- Zinc: 1.95 mg (18%)
And plenty more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants!
10 Potential Benefits of Irish Sea Moss
Due to all this incredible health potential, Irish Sea Moss has seen a lot of research. Many studies reveal that Irish Sea Moss can offer some amazing potential benefits for total wellness. Let’s take a look at some of the main health benefits that sea moss is known for…
1) Thyroid & Weight Loss Support
Irish Sea Moss and many other seaweeds are incredibly rich in iodine – in fact, they are some of the best natural sources of this essential mineral. Iodine is a mineral your body does not produce on its own and you need it to make thyroid hormones. So it's essential that you get this mineral through your diet!
Thyroid hormones are necessary to keep your thyroid functioning properly and to help avoid problems such as hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid. This can cause many uncomfortable symptoms and make it difficult to lose weight. Thyroid hormones are also necessary to control your body’s metabolism and brain health, along with many other important tasks.
Symptoms of a thyroid disorder that may come about from low iodine levels may include…
- Weight gain
- Mood and appetite changes
In the 310 Nutrition Community, we’ve seen that many of our members struggle with thyroid problems that make their weight loss goals difficult to achieve. Adding an iodine-rich superfood source to your diet may be beneficial in helping you avoid nutrient deficiencies. It could also help give your body what it needs for proper functioning and complete wellness. It's also good to look for a supplement that supplies you with an abundance of additional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Along with helping to support a normal, healthy metabolism and thyroid health, Irish Sea Moss also contains dietary fiber. This helps support satiety and may assist with appetite control throughout the day.
2) Strong Immunity & Cold/Flu Prevention
Irish Sea Moss has many other potential benefits, mostly due to its impressive nutrient profile. And several of these nutrients including Vitamin C along with amino acids and antioxidants are highly beneficial for supporting strong immunity and defense from sickness.
Studies have also found that Irish Sea Moss has beneficial antimicrobial and antiviral properties which can help fight off and prevent viruses. In particular, Irish Sea Moss is a great source of potassium chloride. This may help dissolve phlegm in the mucous membranes, helping to reduce congestion. This may also assist with preventing or relieving symptoms of the common cold and flu. Think: sore throat, coughing, runny nose, and a general feeling of discomfort.
3) Digestive System Improvements
Irish Sea Moss is also fantastic for your gut health. And your gut plays a big role in your immune and digestive systems, proper brain functioning, and more. Irish Sea Moss contains dietary fiber and acts as a “prebiotic”, which becomes food for beneficial bacteria, or probiotics in your gut. This helps to establish balance and fight off harmful invaders that can cause infection and disease.
Additionally, sea moss could help soothe the digestive tract and promote better colon health. It acts as a “mucilaginous food” that has a thick, sticky texture that promotes regular bowel movements and helps cleanse your body of toxins.
4) Healthy, Youthful Skin
A quick glance at the incredible nutritional profile of sea moss is enough to understand why it promotes radiant, glowing, and youthful skin.
A large number of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and also omega-fatty acids within the sea plant help to hydrate, soothe and soften your skin. Additionally, the nutrients also work to help reduce inflammation and fight skin damage that can accelerate the signs of aging.
5) Help Managing Blood Sugar
Irish Sea Moss may also assist with blood sugar control and management of blood sugar levels. An antioxidant within the sea algae, a carotenoid called fucoxanthin – which also gives it its rich red-brown color – may help the body effectively respond to insulin.
This means that consuming sea moss on a regular basis may help you avoid high blood pressure while supporting glycemic control and overall heart health. And for anyone with diabetes, it may help prevent blood sugar spikes and crashes.
And More Amazing Health Benefits
In addition to those discussed above, Irish Sea Moss could also help…
How To Use Irish Sea Moss
Irish Sea Moss Capsules
It's not the most common ingredient on the shelves of your grocery store! The easiest way to reap the benefits of Irish Sea Moss isn't to harvest it directly from the sea, but to enjoy it in supplement form. And we recommend Irish Sea Moss capsules!
To enjoy raw sea moss you would need to soak it for a while to get rid of the "sea-like" taste. We recommend capsules because even some of the gel and powder supplements can still have a distinct fishy or sea taste.
Capsules are the most convenient way to get sea moss every day, wherever you are, with no bad taste. It’s a low-maintenance way to start reaping the benefits of Irish Sea Moss today, even on a busy schedule.
When looking for an Irish Sea Moss supplement, the benefits will vary based on the type of sea moss. This is why at 310 we've opted for wildcrafted sea moss. What does this mean? It means that the sea moss gets harvested right from its natural habitat of rocks in the ocean, versus other supplements which may use farmed varieties.
This is especially important because it means that 310 Irish Sea Moss is incredibly nutrient-rich – since it was growing in its natural environment.
Wildcrafted sea moss also has a higher level of purity than organic sea moss. Organic sea moss can still be grown in salt pools, therefore isn’t wild. Since wildcrafted sea moss is harvested directly from rocks, bypassing human intervention, it may offer the most potential benefits.
What Pairs Well With Irish Sea Moss
Our 310 Irish Sea Moss also contains a blend of additional superfoods for overall health and vitality. Along with wildcrafted sea moss, the capsules contain bladderwrack, burdock root, and a variety of B vitamins. These pair super well with nature's multivitamin (aka Irish Sea Moss!).
Let’s take a look at the benefits of each of these…
- Bladderwrack: This is another highly-nutritious seaweed that’s rich in dietary fiber along with many vitamins and minerals. Like sea moss, it’s also particularly rich in iodine, helping support thyroid health, healthy metabolism, and weight loss. Plus it contains powerful antioxidants like beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin for healthy skin, immune, and total body health.
- Burdock Root: This root vegetable helps cleanse the body and support better digestion. It's also packed with antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and increase circulation in the skin.
- B Vitamins: 310 Irish Sea Moss Capsules also include B vitamins including vitamins B12, B6, thiamin, and niacin. These vitamins aid in energy production and help maintain peak energy levels.
Irish Sea Moss: The Takeaway
The name might make it sound unappealing but this red seaweed isn't messing around when it comes to nutrition. It's nicknamed nature's multivitamin for a reason!
It's said to contain 92 of the 102 minerals the body needs for healthy functioning. Minerals like calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and more. Not to mention it's also high in vitamins and antioxidants like vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K, plus beta-carotene.
Ready to start reaping the benefits of Irish Sea Moss? Add convenient 310 Irish Sea Moss Capsules to your life today. They make the perfect addition to a healthy lifestyle and dietary routine. Plus, for a limited time only starting November 12, our 310 Irish Sea Moss Capsules are 50% off! Grab yours today to score the discount.
Please note that it’s always a good idea to speak with your doctor before starting any new dietary supplement. It's also a good idea to have your thyroid levels checked since too much iodine can also be problematic for your health and your thyroid. The key is to get the perfect balance of this mineral into your diet.
FAQs About Irish Sea Moss
Below you’ll find a list of frequently asked questions about Irish Sea Moss:
How many Irish Sea Moss capsules should you take daily?
We recommend 2 capsules of 310 wildcrafted 310 Irish Sea Moss capsules each day.
What are the benefits of Irish Sea Moss Capsules over other forms of sea moss (powder, gel, gummies, raw)?
We preserve all the nutritional benefits of our purely extracted, wildcrafted sea moss in each convenient, easy-to-take capsule. This makes our product both top-quality and a great option for busy lifestyles and for the on-the-go.
Some people choose to make their own sea moss gel from raw sea moss. But this process involves soaking and blending to get the consistency just right and remove the "sea-like" taste from the moss. Our capsules ensure you can reap the benefits of this amazing wild sea vegetable, with minimal effort, whenever and wherever you are.
Can you have too much Irish Sea Moss?
Irish sea moss is an excellent source of iodine which makes it a great support for your thyroid health. However, having too much iodine in your system can be problematic and lead to health problems.
This is another reason why we recommend 2 daily capsules of our wildcrafted 310 Irish Sea Moss versus making your own products from raw sea moss. Having the recommended dosage of 310 Irish Sea Moss will help you reap potential benefits and potentially help correct nutritional deficiencies. All while ensuring that you aren't having too much sea moss and taking in too much iodine.
- Liu, J., Hafting, J., Critchley, A. T., Banskota, A. H., & Prithiviraj, B. (2013). Components of the Cultivated Red Seaweed Chondrus crispus Enhance the Immune Response of Caenorhabditis elegans to Pseudomonas aeruginosa through the pmk-1, daf-2/daf-16, and skn-1 Pathways. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 79(23), 7343–7350. https://doi.org/10.1128/aem.01927-13
- Liu, J., Kandasamy, S., Zhang, J., Kirby, C. W., Karakach, T., Hafting, J., Critchley, A. T., Evans, F., & Prithiviraj, B. (2015). Prebiotic effects of diet supplemented with the cultivated red seaweed Chondrus crispus or with fructo-oligo-saccharide on host immunity, colonic microbiota and gut microbial metabolites. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 15(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-015-0802-5
- Liu, J., Banskota, A., Critchley, A., Hafting, J., & Prithiviraj, B. (2015). Neuroprotective Effects of the Cultivated Chondrus crispus in a C. elegans Model of Parkinson’s Disease. Marine Drugs, 13(4), 2250–2266. https://doi.org/10.3390/md13042250
- National Research Committee on Diet and Health. (2009). Diet and Health: Implications for Reducing Chronic Disease Risk. National Academies Press.
- Ahad F, Ganie SA. Iodine, Iodine metabolism and Iodine deficiency disorders revisited. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Jan;14(1):13-7. PMID: 21448409; PMCID: PMC3063534.
- Catarino, M., Silva, A., & Cardoso, S. (2018). Phycochemical Constituents and Biological Activities of Fucus spp. Marine Drugs, 16(8), 249. https://doi.org/10.3390/md16080249
- Berkheiser, K. (2018, February 2). 9 Healthy Foods That Are Rich in Iodine. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/iodine-rich-foods
- Armstrong M, Asuka E, Fingeret A. Physiology, Thyroid Function. [Updated 2022 Mar 18]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537039/
- Wang, T., Jónsdóttir, R., Liu, H., Gu, L., Kristinsson, H. G., Raghavan, S., & Ólafsdóttir, G. (2012). Antioxidant Capacities of Phlorotannins Extracted from the Brown Algae Fucus vesiculosus. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 60(23), 5874–5883. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf3003653
- Gotter, A. (2018, December 6). What Is Burdock Root? Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/burdock-root
- Seaweed, raw, irishmoss nutrition facts and analysis. (n.d.). Retrieved October 30, 2022, from https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Seaweed%2C_raw%2C_irishmoss_nutritional_value.html
Kim, M. S., Kim, J. Y., Choi, W. H., & Lee, S. S. (2008). Effects of seaweed supplementation on blood glucose concentration, lipid profile, and antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrition Research and Practice, 2(2), 62. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2008.2.2.62